The Hawaii Association of Independent Schools is a voluntary membership association of independent schools. It services a diverse community of approximately 100 member schools, over 5000 educators, and approximately 40,000 children with a variety of programs and activities. While the association seeks to preserve and promote the unique nature and mission of each of its member schools, it is also committed to the common goal of helping children achieve personal and academic excellence in all independent schools, and to encourage, support, and develop the highest standard for independent schools in Hawaii.
All faculty and staff of HAIS Member Schools have access to the following benefits. If you have questions about how to take advantage of any of these products and services, or would like to apply for HAIS membership, please contact HAIS
for more information.
- A collective presence in the legislature that seeks to safeguard our independence and, thereby, guarantee that we may pursue our individual missions.
- A voice to make the case for "choice" in our community, thus enhancing our enrollment potential and broadening our market base.
- A liaison between accrediting agencies (HAIS, NAIS and WASC) to ensure that the unique needs of school improvement in Hawaii’s independent schools are best met through the accreditation process.
- Professional development opportunities for teachers, administrators and trustees designed to enhance leadership, collaboration, instruction, and international cooperation.
- Facilitation of partnership possibilities with state and regional agencies, corporations, the media, foundations, and affiliated educational associations.
- Research and statistical services along with regular communication (newsletters, bulletins, website) to connect individual schools with their community of schools and to promote cooperative activities and sharing information.
- Recruitment resources through the HAIS website Job Board, with free posting of available teaching and administrative positions by members.
- Virtual networking services with listservs by administrative role (e.g. heads, department heads, admissions directors, advancement council, business officers, public relations, technology coordinators) for HAIS members’ exchange of ideas on topics of mutual interest.
- Constituent meetings (school heads, admissions directors, advancement council, business officers, public relations, technology coordinators) to provide forums for networking, collaboration, and professional development.
The Hawaii Association of Independent Schools is an association member of the National Association of Independent Schools
(NAIS) and an affiliate of the Council of American Private Education